Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oh, what it was like to be young...

Houston's? Of all places, Houston's? I stumbled across a young writer's romanticized visit to Houston's on the Country Club Plaza this morning (read her Random Ramblings here).
"As we walked into the dimly lit restaurant (Houston's), we were greeted by a woman dressed all in black who led us to our table. The table which we sat at was candlelit, creating an atmosphere that gives you instant goose bumps if you have a flair for the dramatic. After our orders were taken I took a better look around, breathing in my surroundings. I peered over the tables next to us, trying to catch glimpses of the busy kitchen. I heard pots clanging merrily and shouts from various people in the steaming room."
Girl, you know there are 13 Houston's in the country, right? The last time I was in there, the food was raw (when it wasn't supposed to be), the first wine I ordered was out of stock, the second wine I ordered was horrid (my bad) and the fries were over-salted. I must, however, pull my punches a little bit, friends were recently in Houston's and said it's much improved from our previous visit.

I love your innocence, but you were SO CLOSE to good food; if you just would have gone to The Classic Cup right across the street!

There is a battle on the Plaza between the tourists and the residents. We residents want local fair, while the tourists always want to eat at the chains: Houston's, Cheesecake, PF's, Fogo... next time go local!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow...I never would have expected a Plaza connoisseur to stop by my blog this morning! :) Thanks for your feedback and advice. My naivety in the area of fine dining really isn't surprising considering I live near Wichita and the nicest restauraunt I had ever eaten at, prior to Houston's, was the Rib Crib! haha! I have to admit, I don't think I would have noticed if the food wasn't prepared correctly, or if the table wasn't set quite eloquently--I was too entranced by the unfamiliar and exciting aura of my surroundings.

The next time I take a trip to the Plaza, I will definitely try to make a visit to The Classic Cup. As far as Starbuck's goes--I can't say it's the best coffee in the world, but it's served me well for every day needs. ;)I'm a health junkie (to put it quite oxymoronically), so I take my coffee black and strong--no frills. A nice brew is appreciated, and granted Starbuck's doesn't always do well; but, it works well enough.

Thanks again for visiting!
God Bless,
--Abigail