Sunday, November 9, 2008

Near Emergency @ Kona Grill Last Night

While I was sitting at the bar at Kona Grill last night imbibing on a Sam's Winter Ale, someone on the other side of the bar dropped to the floor. Patron's began yelling for someone to call 911, which I thought was strange since pretty much everyone yelling probably had a cell phone on them.

The person who passed out came back to consciousness and nothing more actually happened... thank goodness. In fact, I don't think 911 ever got called.

When it happened, I asked my friend if he was certified in First Aid and CPR. I was certified all through college, but I haven't been since. He said the same, that his certification had lapsed, as well.

Still, I'd take the chance to save someone's life though the Good Samaritan's Law wouldn't apply to me. I'd rather try and fail than do nothing at all.

I was surprised at how many people just sat there and did nothing. No one ran to assist. Everyone was googly-eyed just waiting to see what would happen. They always teach you in First Aid training that people always assume that someone else is going to call 911, so you should go ahead and do it. If you duplicate a call, then at least you know it's being handled.

2 comments:

Sarah J Clark said...

Ok, so why didn't YOU jump up to help? You could have put your First Aid training, however old it may be, into practice.

Robert Zamees said...

That sure is the obvious question, isn't it? I would have needed some 300 lb blockers to get around the bar through the crowd, however. I was pulling my phone from my pocket to call 911 until I saw the bartender run for her house telephone. And by the time that was all sorted out, the person was sitting up again.