Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Velvet ropes and pick up lines...

I'm so thrilled Bob asked me to contribute to his Plaza blog. I've been wanting to vent to someone about this KC Star article in Sunday's paper.

This "soothing" and "upscale" hot spot on the Plaza is the only place I've ever been in Kansas City where a man felt it was appropriate to ask me to dance with him and then less than two minutes later, ask "baby are you going to go home with me or what?" Um, excuse me? That's not even a pick-up line, it's something you'd say to a hooker.

My biggest problem with Blonde is that it tries too hard to be hip and trendy. Hip and trendy works in some parts of the country, but it rarely works in the midwest. We like comfortable places here. We like a place where we can grab a beer or a nice glass of wine, and sit and talk to our friends, and we also like places where we can dance until closing time. But we don't like the 750 dollar bottles of champagne and the pretentious red velvet rope and the line outside the bar (that is sometimes made up of Blonde employees, making it look like there's a line to get in.)

If you like Blonde, good for you. But I'll be next door at P Otts, sitting at one of their big round wooden tables, sharing stories and laughing with good friends. And yeah, we just might be laughing at the people standing in line at Blonde.

1 comment:

Robert Zamees said...

Yea, Tess! I like your east-side vs. west-side idea for this blog... I like it so much that it's OUR blog. So, getcho blog on!